Mainland crash out

Coach Marcio Maximo

As usual, out with dust, Kilimanjaro Stars crashed out of the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup championship after suffering a 2-1 goals defeat at the hands of well drilled Rwanda national team, in a semifinal match played at Nyayo Stadium here, yesterday.

Unblemished in the tournament so far, Rwanda date cup holders Uganda in Sunday’s final to fight for the $30,00 cash prize.

Kili Stars Striker John Boko came close to score after being put through by Mrisho Ngasa only to be derailed by Rwandan defender Uwirimani Amana seven minutes after kick off.

Rwanda retaliated to torment Stars defence when Tuyizere Donattiene shot wide despite outpacing Kelvin Yondani after 11 minutes. Yusuf Ndayishime’s glancing header also went off target with Stars goalkeeper Muharam Mohamed well beaten, three minute later.

Bocco threw overboard an opportunity to score when his glancing header went off target after a good combination between Nsajigwa, Nditi and Ngasa.

Playing without proper organisation, Kilimanjaro Stars committed reckless fouls during the first half to concede free kicks that were not effectively utilised by their opponents.

It was by sheer luck that Rwanda would not score in the first half as Stars were highly vulnerable at the rear. The teams progressed into the dressing rooms while deadlocked.

Stars suffered a huge blow barely four minutes after resumption when defender Kelvin Yondani was sent off for blatant foul on Rwanda’s Ndamuhanga Tumaine who was rushing to score.

Down to ten men, Stars failed to absorb persistent raids launched by Rwandan strikers who dominated midfield possession.

On rushing Yusuf Ndayishime shocked Kilimanjaro Stars after 60 minutes when defenders Salum Swedi completely failed to contain him.

Goalkeeper Mohamed made little effort to block Ndayishime’s power-packed shot that ricocheted into the net.

While Stars were looking for an equaliser, Mutesa Mafisango put Rwanda’s victory beyond the reach of Marcio Maximo’s trained boys after 77 minutes.

Substitute Musa Hassan reduced the margin of defeat two minutes later to revive Stars’ fight-back that never materialised.

Uwirimana Amaan was sent off by referee Thomas Onyango barely a minute before the final whistle but the leaders remained unshaken to hang on to their lone goal lead.

Despite five minutes added time, Stars failed to recover as Rwanda stormed into Sunday’s final against holders Uganda.

Stars are now playing a classification match against Zanzibar tomorrow in search of $10,000 cash prize. Minister for information, culture and sports George Mkuchika was present when Stars crashed out of the tournament here.


Kilimanjaro Stars:

Muharam Mohamed, Shadrack Nsajigwa, Juma Jabu, Kelvin Yondani, Salum Swedi, Juma Nyoso, Shaaban Nditi/Musa Hassan, Nurdin Bakari/David NaftaliJohn Boko, Mrisho Ngasa, Kigi Makasi.


Luc Ndayishemiye, Kalisa Mow/Jean Claude, Tuyizere Donattiene, Uwirimana Amaan, Mutesa Mafisango, Mogiraneza Baptiste, Haruna Niyonzima, Djamar Mwiseneza/Iranzi Claude, Yusuf Ndayishime, Didier Kapet and NdamuhangaTumaine.


Posted under:  All Articles