Champions League – Goalless draw at Emirates

Tanzaniasports::Where Sports People Meet


EurosportThu, 21 Feb 09:38:00 2008

Arsenal and Milan played out a goalless draw in their Champions League last 16 first leg clash at the Emirates Stadium.

Adebayor v Milan, FOOTBALL - 0



More Stories





Chances were at a premium in North London with Emmanuel Adebayor hitting the crossbar with a header deep into injury-time.

Jens Lehmann‘s save from Paolo Maldini‘s early header and Alberto Gilardino‘s almost identical late effort were the visitors’ only attempts on goal.

Arsene Wenger’s side probed for a breakthrough in the second-half with Cesc Fabregas at the centre of all their best things but the teams will return to the San Siro in 13 days time all-square.

Wenger welcomed back Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy following their FA Cup thrashing at Manchester United but then saw Kolo Toure go off with a knee injury after just seven minutes.

By then 39-year-old Maldini has already forced Lehmann to claw his near post header away from danger following Clarence Seedorf‘s corner.

William Gallas and Adebayor had failed to hit the target before former Leicester keeper Zeljko Kalac was finally called into action as he held Mathieu Flamini‘s low drive.

Adebayor spurned a golden chance three minutes before half-time when he created space for himself on the edge of the penalty area only to over hit his intended pass to Fabregas and that was the final meaningful action of the opening period.

Arsenal were brighter after the break with Fabregas’ corner inadvertently bouncing off Kaka and going narrowly past the post before Alexander Hleb cut inside Massimo Oddo and teed up Emmanuel Eboue who dragged a decent opportunity past the far post.

Hleb then smuggled the ball through to Adebayor who calmly slotted the ball into the net only to be correctly adjudged offside before Kalac tipped Eduardo’s effort over the crossbar.

Arsenal survived a goalmouth scramble with Philippe Senderos doing just enough to deny Brazilian prodigy Alexandre Pato before Kalac got down well to his right to hold Fabregas’ fizzing drive from 20 yards.

The Gunners continued to press in the final 15 minutes with Kalac making routine saves from

Fabregas again and Adebayor while Eboue was booked for going down easily in the penalty area after the slightest contact from Marek Jankulovski.

The defending champions finally had their second effort on goal, 81 minutes after their first, but Lehmann was alert to sub Gilardino’s flick.

But the biggest drama was yet to come as 15 seconds from time, substitute Theo Walcott‘s teasing cross from the right was planted against the woodwork from the Premier League’s joint top scorer from no more than three yards.

Posted under:  All Articles